There are several different types of in-game currency.
Some currencies are general purpose (such as pounds (£) or Nessy's. Other currencies are more specialized, and are ones that you can use to purchase items in-game at Bayoushi's shop, or, occasionally, the Q-section and the Laboratory.
Only a few types of currency can be used to trade with other players.
General purpose currencies
These currencies can be used to trade with other players, or to purchase many items throughout the game.
Ghost Trapper pounds
Ghost trapper pounds are sometimes also referred to as GTP or as GBP (Ghost British pounds). These are the credits you earn for capturing ghost photos.
Nessy's has been very close to a de facto currency within Virtual Scotland since the very beginning of the game. They can be traded with other players as well as used throughout the game to purchase items or services (such as augmenting a companion).
Trading with the house
These additional types of currency can be used to purchase particular items within the game and cannot be traded to other players.
Please see the Bayoushi's shop page for details on the amount of different currencies required to purchase particular items. (Bayoushi's costs may change without notice).
Christmas cake is used to ...
Dogtags can be used to purchase numerous items from Lady Ayumi Bayoushi.
The football currency can be used to purchase raven coins and golden nuggets from Bayoushi. Football currency can also be used to purchase several different types of items (a companion, a contract, accessories) from Bayoushi that should help you attract more of the World Cup 2018 ghosts in the Summoning room.
You can also use ghost plasma in Bayoushi's shop as payment or partial payment when you want to purchase certain items that may include jurassic plasma and certain companions and contracts, as well as contract documents and accessories.
Reaper scythes can be used to purchase a number of special items with stats from Lady Ayumi Bayoushi's shop.
Summoning scrols can be used to purchase items ranging from companions to camera lenses in Lady Ayumi Bayoushi's shop on the 9th floor of S.C.O.T.C.H. HQ.
Dedicated purchasing power in-game
Some currencies have only one or a limited number of purposes of currency within Virtual Scotland.
IG.2s can be traded in for IG.1s.
Trident of the Seas parts
You must acquire the following special items of currency (plus a lot of GTP and completing other requirements) to be able to purchase the Trident of the Sea special item in Lady Bayoushi's shop.
- 7 June 2009: Ghost plasma introduced to game.
- 26 April 2010: Chrono crystal fragments introduced.
- 19 May 2010: Dogtags introduced.
- 13 September 2010: Jurassic plasma introduced.
- 18 January 2011: S.C.O.T.C.H. badges introduced.
- 29 March 2011: Elemental plasma introduced.
- 9 July 2011: Blood plasma introduced.
- 29 August 2011: Magic wood introduced.
- 12 May 2012: Uncut lenses introduced.
- 23 July 2012: Nightmare tokens introduced.
- 7 January 2013: Amber fragments appeared as a new currency in Bayoushi's shop.
- 9 January 2013: Diviad points appeared as a new currency in Bayoushi's shop.
- 14 March 2013: Sacred plasma introduced.
- 5 June 2013: Joker cards are added to the in-house currency choices.
- 16 December 2013: Snowflakes were introduced as a new currency with the reopening of Winter wonderland for Celebration Week 5.
- 28 January 2014: Meteorites were added as a new currency with the introduction of aliens in Ghost Trappers.
- 20 August 2014: Nightmare crystals were added to the currency options.
- 10 November 2014: Russian meteorites were first shown as a currency (appearing in Bayoushi's shop for an alien gear item for the first time).
- 17 August 2015: Ionized plasma was added to the list of available currencies.
- 14 October 2015: Xeno plasma was added to the list of available currencies.
- 23 May 2016: Summoning scrolls were added to the list of available currencies.
- 6 January 2017: Blue stardust, green stardust, and purple stardust appeared on the list of currencies that can be used in Bayoushi's shop.
- 9 October 2017: Reaper scythes first appeared on items from Lady Bayoushi's shop, with the beginning of HW 19.
- 12 January 2018: Golden nuggets first appeared as a part of the rewards for completing a special mission.
- 15 January 2018: Golden plasma was officially released as a type of loot used to attract golden monsters.
- 12 February 2018: Grey Nessy E.G.G. was first dropped across Virtual Scotland by the Ghost Nessy. Green Nessy E.G.G.,Pink Nessy E.G.G., Purple Nessy E.G.G., and Yellow Nessy E.G.G. were all referenced but still had not been dropped by 14 February 2018.
- 11 June 2018: The raven coin currency was added to Ghost Trappers.
- 14 June 2018: The football currency was added to Ghost Trappers.
- 20 July 2018: The digital coin currency was added to Ghost Trappers.
- 5 September 2018: The seashells currency was added to Ghost Trappers.
- 7 December 2018: The Christmas cake currency was first mentioned in Ghost Trappers as a part of a special mission reward.
You might also be interested in looking at: